Job Title: Library Assistant
Reports to: Librarian
To assist in the management of the library, to provide a state of the art services to faculty, students and staff.
- Assist users to search for information from serials, periodicals and reports and other continuing resources.
- Answer reference queries
- Communicate the (websites) URLS of journals with online versions to Faculty and patrons.
- Communicate the table of contents (TOC) of journals to patrons.
- Co-ordinate the selection, acquisition and organisation of journals, periodicals and other continuing issues (from Faculty, researchers and staff).
- Responsible for list of vendors/publishers/suppliers of serials and compiles list of journals for subscription.
- Evaluate the use of journals at the end of each year to inform subscription list.
- Guide users to sources of information.
- Index articles and information relevant to academic programmes in KAIPTC.
- Keep records of information requested by users and analyse statistics.
- Keep track of receipts of journals from the publishers with dates.
- Organise newspapers for binding.
- Prepare analysis of requests.
- Prepare monthly, quarterly and annual reports.
- Present list of unfulfilled requests to Head Librarian each month.
- Provide current awareness service to lecturers and students for research.
- Record receipt of daily newspapers on tally cards.
- Record titles of all serials, noting their sources and the quantities.
- Perform related duties as required by the Librarian.
A degree in Library Science, Library and Information Science or Information Studies from an accredited institution. Professional certification is desirable. At least 3 years post qualification working experience in a public library. Working knowledge of French is an advantage.
The incumbent must have proficient knowledge in the following areas:
- library policies, procedures, methods,
- Ethics and professional standards
- A variety of information database systems
- T. including the ability to operate computerized library
- Organization and structure of the library
- Library systems for cataloguing
- Cataloguing and classification of library resources
- MARC 21
- Research methodology
- Organizational skills
- Be honest and trustworthy
- Be courteous
- Possess cultural awareness and sensitivity
- Be flexible
- Demonstrate sound work ethics
Interested applicants are kindly requested to send their application, CV together with 3 references by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org not later than 14 November 2022.
Please indicate the job title clearly in the cover letter otherwise, your application may not be considered. Applicants will be short-listed based on their qualifications and relevant work experience. Only short-listed candidates will be invited for an interview.
KAIPTC is an equal opportunity employer.