Women Peace & Security Institute (WPSI)
The Women, Peace and Security Institute (WPSI) serves as “a knowledge Centre for expanding technical capacity, training and policy research and analysis on women, peace and security in order to better inform the broader peace and security agenda in Africa”(WPSI Project Document). The Institute will support the promotion and realisation of the recommendations of United Nations Security Council Resolution (UNSCR) 1325 and its related resolutions on women, peace and security. These resolutions call for special protection of women and girls in conflict and post-conflict societies as well as for greater leadership and participation of women in governance and peace processes.
The Institute focuses on five core programme areas to achieve its aim of facilitating the actualization of the aspirations of the resolutions. The areas are:
- Women’s participation in peace negotiations and preventive diplomacy in Africa;
- Increasing women’s leadership role in security institutions and participation in peacekeeping activities;
- African women’s leadership in responding to gender-based violence in conflict;
- Policy and academic research on gender, peace and security; and
- Documentation of women’s contributions to peace processes in Africa.
In order to promote policy and action in these core areas, WPSI combines training, policy research & analysis, networking and advocacy in partnership with Government Agencies, Civil Society Organisations, Security Sector Institutions/Agencies and RECs as well as Tertiary Institutions at the national, regional and international levels.