Multidimensional Peace Operations Course – MDPO 2023
Peace and Security Studies
Course Fee: - All expenses are covered by the KAIPTC. - The course is fully sponsored by the Government of Switzerland. - Tuition, air travel from and to the nearest international airport, visa fees, food and accommodation will be provided by the KAIPTC. - If the regulation requires, max. three (3) PCR tests will be covered for international course participants (i.e., test 1: taken in home country before departure to Ghana, test 2: on arrival at Accra International Airport (KIA) in Ghana and test 3: taken in Ghana before departure to home country). - However, participants will have to bear the cost for their private travel and health insurance.
Terms and Conditions:
• The course is conducted in English. There will be no interpretation in other languages. • In case of an overwhelming number of applications, priority will be given to applicants from the ECOWAS region, from the field missions and those who have not attended fully sponsored courses at KAIPTC within the last two years. • IMPORTANT NOTE: International participants will only be invited to the course if the pandemic situation allows international travel without major restrictions and safety concerns. Only participants fully vaccinated against COVID-19 will be allowed on the course. • As part of the COVID-19 measures by the KAIPTC, all participants are to travel with a travel medical insurance covering COVID-19 treatment, and must be valid for additional two weeks after course end date. COVID-guidelines of the centre must be strictly followed. The KAIPTC and the Swiss Government do NOT accept any responsibility for medical treatment and travel or other insurance.
|Course Date/Duration||19 June – 30 June 2023 (two weeks)|
|Course Capacity||30 participants|
|Target Group||Civilian, Police and Military personnel (see details below)|
|Application Deadline||21 April 2023|
Already 72 years have passed since the establishment of the first UN peacekeeping Mission in 1948, and over time the size and scope of peace operations has expanded dramatically. As peacekeeping has evolved, a growing number of operations have become multidimensional in nature. They now usually include a broad range of components: military, police, civil affairs, political affairs, rule of law, human rights, child protection, humanitarian assistance, DDR, public information, gender, and many more. There are also a number of areas, such as Mission support and security and safety of personnel, which remain essential to every Mission, regardless of its particular mandate. It is therefore critical that all actors involved in peace operations, particularly at the operational level, have a good understanding of Mission components, mandates, and structures, and of the related challenges and opportunities.
The aim of the course is to equip civilian, police and military personnel with the knowledge and skills required to plan, coordinate and conduct multidimensional peace operations at the operational level in order to increase the efficiency and effectiveness of each component involved in peace operations.
The target group includes mainly personnel currently deployed or likely to be deployed in UN, AU or ECOWAS peace operations, at the operational level (for military officers: Maj, Lt Col, Col or equivalent; for police officers: ASP to CSUPT or equivalent; for civilian staff: P3 to P5, or equivalent).
The MDPO course combines theoretical and practical sessions on the following modules/topics:
- The Nature of Conflicts
- Frameworks for Peace Operations
- Introduction and Concept of Peace Operations
- Gender and Peace Operations
- Disarmament, Demobilization and Reintegration (DDR) and Peace Operations
- Security Sector Reform (SSR) and Peace Operations
- In-Mission Negotiations, Mediation & Facilitation
- Responsibility to Protect (R2P) and Protection of Civilians (PoC) in Peace Operations
- UN Policy on Civil-Military Coordination (CIMIC)
- Mine Awareness and IEDs in Integrated Missions Support
- Media in Peace Operations
- Respect for Diversity
- Planning in Peace Operations
- Integrated Mission Support
- MDPO in Practice
The course will be delivered through a combination of lectures, case studies, small group works and exercises. The “Problem-Based Learning Approach” will be used in the delivery of the course: participants will play a active role under the guidance of an experienced team of facilitators.
How to Apply
Interested applicants are requested to kindly fill and submit an online application form not later than 21 April 2023.
Access the application by pressing the “How to Apply” button.
The course usually attracts a lot of interest. A selection committee decides on the final admission to the course latest by 1 May 2023.
Contact at KAIPTC
|For administrative issues:
Mrs Marylyn Agblor
Office: +233 (0) 30 271 8200, Ext. 1012
Cell: +233 (0) 30 271 8201
For course content related queries only:
Maj Thuruban Thuchchathanan
Swiss Armed Forces
Course Director MDPO23
Office: +233 (0) 302 71 82 00 Ext. 1315
Cell: +233 (0) 54 042 9255