Multidimensional Peace Operations Course (MDPO 20)
Peace Support Operations
Terms and Conditions:
The course is residential and course participants will be accommodated at the KAIPTC. The course is conducted in English. There will be no interpretation in other languages. The KAIPTC and the Swiss Government will NOT accept responsibility for individual medical, travel or other insurance. Participants are strongly advised to arrange their own insurance coverage for the duration of the training. No-shows or last minute cancellations: resulting costs are to be borne by the participant.
|Course Date/Duration||29 June – 10 July 2020 (two weeks) CANCELLED|
|Course Capacity||30 participants|
|Target Group||Civilian, Police and Military personnel (see details below)|
|Application Deadline||19 April 2020|
Already 72 years have passed since the establishment of the first UN peacekeeping Mission in 1948, and over time the size and scope of peace operations has expanded dramatically. As peacekeeping has evolved, a growing number of operations have become multidimensional in nature. They now usually include a broad range of components: military, police, civil affairs, political affairs, rule of law, human rights, child protection, humanitarian assistance, DDR, public information, gender, and many more. There are also a number of areas, such as Mission support and security and safety of personnel, which remain essential to every Mission, regardless of its particular mandate. It is therefore critical that all actors involved in peace operations, particularly at the operational level, have a good understanding of Mission components, mandates, and structures, and of the related challenges and opportunities.
The aim of the course is to provide civilian, police and military personnel with the knowledge and skills needed for operational-level planning, coordination and conduct of multi-dimensional peace operations. Trained personnel will be able to apply those skills, to enhance the efficiency and effectiveness of each component involved in peace operations.
The target group includes personnel currently deployed or likely to be deployed in UN, AU or ECOWAS peace operations, at the operational level (for military officers: Maj, Lt Col, Col or equivalent; for police officers: ASP to CSUPT or equivalent; for civilian staff: P3 to P5, Directors, or equivalent).
Priority will be given to applicants from the ECOWAS region.
We strive for a balanced representation of genders, nationalities, missions and components.
The MDPO course combines theoretical and practical sessions on the following modules/topics:
- The Nature of Conflicts
- Frameworks for Peace Operations
- Introduction and Concept of Peace Operations
- Gender and Peace Operations
- Disarmament, Demobilization and Reintegration(DDR) and Peace Operations
- Security Sector Reform (SSR) and Peace Operations
- In-Mission Negotiations, Mediation & Facilitation
- Responsibility to Protect (R2P) and Protection of Civilians (PoC) in Peace Operations
- UN Policy on Civil-Military Coordination (CIMIC)
- Mine Awareness and IEDs in Integrated Missions Support
- Media in Peace Operations
- Respect for Diversity
- Planning in Peace Operations
- Integrated Mission Support
- MDPO in Practice
The course will be delivered through a combination of lectures, case studies, small group works and exercises. The “Problem-Based Learning Approach” will be used in the delivery of the course: participants will play a very active role under the guidance of an experienced team of facilitators.
The course generates a lot of interest and a high number of applications. This will make the selection very competitive. The process will be as following:
- the selection board will decide on selected and waitlisted applications (end of April 2020);
- selected candidates will be asked to confirm their seats bindingly;
- should not all selected candidates confirm their seats, these will be offered to candidates on the waitlist, on a “first come first served”.
Contact at KAIPTC
|For course content issues|
|Maj Federico Leonardi, Swiss Armed Forces
Course Director MDPO
Office: +233 (0) 302 71 82 00 Ext. 1315
Cell: +233 (0) 26 485 35 77
WhatsApp: +233 26 485 3577