KOFI ANNAN INTERNATIONAL PEACEKEEPING TRAINING CENTRE
|Assistant Librarian (Systems Librarian)
Office of the Commandant (OOC)
The individual is expected to provide leadership and expertise in the creation and management of an electronic library focused on work in peace support operations in particular and teaching, learning and research in general for students, faculty and staff, and assist the Head librarian.
- Ensure consistent and integrated access to licensed electronic resources in a technology-intensive learning environment.
- Participates in the refinement and implementation of procedures related to licensed electronic resources procurement and management.
- Assist in the development of ICT policy management for the library
- Assist with design, development and oversee the creation of systems to collect and make available electronically documents and materials relevant to training, research and learning at the Centre
- Establish and manage Institutional Repository (IR) for the center
- Install and manage Mendeley software to enhance research activities
- Assist in administering a plagiarism/similarity check package (Turnitin)
- Ensures copyright compliance.
- Manage interlibrary loan agreements with other institutions to provide additional and shared resources.
- Develop and document search and retrieval systems to support the needs of the Centre.
- Develop documents and records management platforms and systems.
- Manage all facets of e-library system including updating and managing data, information analysis, thesaurus construction, metadata development, database design, information gathering, and database construction and testing, as well as data preservation and archiving.
- Assisting IT personnel and system administrators to write technical specifications that meet the project objectives.
- Develop and lead in the training of library and ICT staff to manage the e-learning and e-library facility.
- Perform any other task within the scope and content of job as assigned by supervisor.
At least a Master’s Degree in ICT or its equivalent with Library Studies or Library Science background is required with at least five years working experience in same or similar capacity.
An applicant who has experience with open source software and content/library management systems (LMS) such as KOHA, D-Space, Drupal, Joomla, or equivalent packages is preferred. The candidate should have experience with client side and server side web development including PHP and MySQL.
- Library management skills
- Working knowledge of MARC 21
- Working knowledge of remote access packages
- Ability to stay current on emerging technologies.
- demonstrated proficiency with HTML/XHTML/CSS and website development
- working knowledge of link resolvers and authentication methods
- conversant with a variety of information database systems
- ability to work and learn independently
- excellent communication skills
- effective problem-solving abilities
- project management skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills with a service oriented outlook.
- Initiative oriented
- pay attention to detail
Interested applicants are kindly requested to send their cover letter and CV together with 3 references by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org later than 19thJune, 2020. Please indicate the job title clearly in the cover letter; otherwise your application may not be considered. Applicants will be short-listed on the basis of their qualifications and work experience. Only short-listed candidates will be invited for an interview.
KAIPTC is an equal opportunity employer