Job Title : Interpreter
Department : Administration
Reports to : Head of Unit
The Interpretation Unit is responsible for providing interpretation services for all departments of KAIPTC. In keeping with the mission of KAIPTC to provide globally recognised capacity for international actors on peace and security issues through training, education and research to foster peace and stability in Africa, the services of the Interpretation Unit are to facilitate communication, training and other activities for participants by reproducing statements from one language to another.
- Interpret spoken material simultaneously into one other language during conferences, courses, workshops and meetings ensuring meaning and context are maintained.
- Provide proper, clear and faithful interpretation during various conferences and meetings of the KAIPTC, in clear and accurate language.
- Assist departments to analyze their language requirements and identify opportunities for supporting the entire Centre
- Provide interpretation of course materials, concept notes and all other relevant documents
- Provide interpretation of speeches, citations, video and audio recordings etc
- Follow ethical codes that protect the confidentiality of information
- Research into subject areas for better delivery
- Increase subject area vocabulary
- Provide quality assurance in regard to external interpreted/translated materials
- Support in translation services when required
- Perform related and other duties as required
Educational Qualification / Work Experience
Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in translation, interpretation, relevant language(s) or a related field. At least 3 years of professional interpreting experience preferably in an international organization: Fluency in English and French is required. Portuguese proficiency would be an advantage.
- Complete fluency in at least 2 working languages, English and French.
- Good understanding of spoken and colloquial language
- Knowledgeable in the peace and security subject matter
- Good Memory
- Excellent concentration and the ability to think quickly
- Good political and current affairs awareness
- ICT proficient
- Research skills – to enrich their glossary for each activity
- Cultural awareness and sensitivity
- Have an idea of the basic and technical terms for each peace and security activity
- Be able to contextualise different terminologies
- Familiarise themselves with the use of specific codes, abbreviations and expressions in each domain
- The person must have proven ability to work without or with little supervision.
- The person must have good communication skills
- The person must be able to work cohesively as part of a team
- Ability to think on his/her feet
- High standard of integrity
- Focuses on results and responds positively to feedback
- Excellent interpersonal skills with a service oriented outlook
- Initiative oriented
- Pay attention to detail
Interested applicants are kindly requested to send their CV together with 3 references and a professional work portfolio by e-mail to email@example.com not later than 12 August, 2022.
Please indicate the job title clearly in the cover letter; otherwise your application may not be considered. Applicants will be short-listed based on their qualifications and relevant work experience. Only short-listed candidates will be invited for an interview. Female applicants are encouraged to apply.
KAIPTC is an equal opportunity employer.