Protection of Civilians in Armed Conflict Course (PoC18-2)
Peace and Security Studies
Course Fee: This course is fully funded by the Government of Switzerland.
Terms and Conditions:
- The course is conducted in English; there will be no translation in other languages.
- The course is residential and course participants will be accommodated at KAIPTC.
- The following costs will be covered by the Government of Switzerland: facilitation fees, air travel from international airport, food and accommodation. Visa costs as well as travel to an international airport will be borne by the participant.
- UN/AU/REC personnel are required to use their organisation’s means of transport (e.g. UN flights), which will help reduce overall costs considerably.
- All nominated participants will have to complete an eLearning module prior to the commencement of the course. The acquired certification is a condition for admission.
- All nominated participants will have to show proof of adequate health insurance coverage prior to the commencement of the course. KAIPTC or the Swiss Confederation will not bear any costs caused by illness or accident.
- No-shows or cancellation of confirmed participants: resulting costs are to be borne by the participant.
Protection of Civilians in armed conflicts has increasingly become an integral component of contemporary peace operations. To implement a POC Mandate on a strategic and operational level, the Course sensitizes PSO personnel or multiplyers and provides the background, the framework and lessons learnt for protecting civilians in armed conflicts. Through building individual skills, the course aims at enhancing the capacity and effectiveness to implement PoC mechanisms and tools. The course will be delivered through a combination of lectures, presentations, interactive discussions, group work and scenario based exercises.
The training course targets Mid-level (operational) personnel:
- UN/AU/RECs Staff
- Mission personnel
- Military & Police personnel
- Humanitarian Actors
- Government officials
- Non-Governmental Organizations
- Civil Society Organizations
We strive for an equal participation of Military, Police and Civilians as well as gender balance.
The course syllabus covers the following modules:
- Background and History of PoC
- Overview of contemporary UN, AU/REC Peace Operations
- UN/AU/REC’s Approach to PoC
- Normative Framework of PoC
- SSR, R2P and PoC
- Gender and PoC
- PoC in Practice
We will receive roughly 15 applications for each and every seat available on this course. This will make the work of the selection board though but interesting. The process will be as following:
- Selection Board will decide on shortlisted and waitlisted applications (end March 2018)
- Shortlisted candidates will be asked to confirm their seats bindingly
- Should not all shortlisted candidates confirm their seats, these will be offered to candidates on the waitlist on “first come first served” basis
Contact at KAIPTC
Maj Andreas Bosshard (Swiss Armed Forces)
Tel.: +233 (0) 302 718200 Ext. 1315
Mob: +233 (0)264 853 577